ComicMovieGeeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miniatures WIP Blog!

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Miniatures WIP Blog! Empty Miniatures WIP Blog!

Post by Skits Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Figured I might as well start up a progress thread for my various little projects, heh. Comments and feedback always welcome! Very Happy

First up, I'm customising some MkIV armour from Forgeworld to make one of my Deathwatch characters; Jahi, a Raptorae discipline Librarian from my loyalist Thousand sons army. I've made a book out of plasticard and greenstuff, and it'll be hanging from a chain around his waist. I've also carved a khopesh-style force sword from plasticard, and I've started on the greenstuff modifications like the tabard and helmet.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's a bit of a closer look at the book and khopesh.

I've also finally put together a model I got from Games Day back in 2012 - a Blood Angels captain. Not sure if I want to customise him up for my own army, or leave him as is and paint him as a proper Blood Angel. Decisions, decisions.

Finally, something I'll be working on in the background when I don't feel like doing anything else... Very Happy Part of me wants to customise the terminators for my Thousand Sons, but part of me is reluctant to mess with SUCH NICE MODELS hnngh. DILEMMA. Either way, I'll be doing the 'nids in a snow/ice theme to go with that fething iceball planet. XD

Last edited by Skits on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Miniatures WIP Blog! Empty Re: Miniatures WIP Blog!

Post by Comander.c Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Blood angels, mud angels - more epic sons! Very Happy
Comander.c
Comander.c
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:24 pm

That scratch made Kopesh makes me a little envious.

And damn those termis look good in a group. Smile
Dingo
Dingo
Level 2 Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:00 pm

Got a bit more done on Jahi! I've tidied up his tabard a bit, carved the nasal crest for the helmet, and made a chain for his book. Waiting for the greenstuff chain to dry so I can tidy it up and then stick his arms on.

Planning on doing a bit more detail work on him too - mainly drilling out the center bit of his chestplate and greenstuffing a scarab or something in there, hopefully that will work out. Thinking of getting rid of the skull over his abdomen, too - thoughts?
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:39 pm

I've added the scarab to the chestplate and decided to try an Inqusitorial =I= on the abdomen thanks to some feedback from elsewhere. Had to trim down the top of the skull to give some room for the top half of the symbol. This is just the first pass, waiting for the greenstuff to dry before I tidy it up and stuff.

Opinions? What does everyone think of the Inquisitorial symbol so far? Keep it? Ditch it? Any other comments?
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Comander.c Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:46 am

Keep it, It will tie in well with the whole Deathwatch look. Make him stand out as far more than your average marine!
Comander.c
Comander.c
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:52 am

Haha, yeah. Let's just hope he LIVES long enough to become more than your average marine! Razz
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Comander.c Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:08 am

Ehh, that's what fate points are for Razz

Its more about wheather or not you make it there in one piece Razz
Comander.c
Comander.c
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:23 am

Very true! XD Fingers crossed that he manages to keep all his bits!
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Some more progress! Now that the greenstuff's dry, I tidied up the Inquisition symbol a little and finally finished putting this guy together. On the hunt for xeno scum!

I think he's just about ready to prime and paint! As always, comments and feedback are welcome! Very Happy Oh, and would anyone be interested in seeing a step by step of how I made the sword?
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Comander.c Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:24 pm

Yes on the sword! Cant wait to see him fully painted up
Comander.c
Comander.c
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:28 pm

Hehe, no kidding! Man, it'll be a nice change painting mostly black instead of red or blue! XD
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Just made another sword, for an assault marine this time. Temporarily tack'd together for now!

What I'm wondering is if I want to keep all the studs on his armour or not. I'll definitely be taking them off the helmet and modifying it with a nasal crest, as usual. I'll also add a tabard and other detailing. I'm just not sold on all the studs. :\ Thoughts?
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:59 pm

Well, the studs represent the age and make of the armor. I've always liked the studs... but I have to say the ones on the helmet don't look so great.

Or maybe if you just kept the two in the middle, and shaved the ones off the side of the helmet?
Dingo
Dingo
Level 2 Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:37 pm

I totally agree on the helmet part, ugh. I've taken all the studs off the helmet, including the two in the middle, 'cause I'll be doing my usual nasal crest thing on that at some point.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These are the images I'm gonna be basing my assault guys on. They have the studs, but I'm still not entirely sold on the stud thing. Hrmm. I think part of my issue is the studs on the model are just so LARGE. Maybe if I took 'em off and then replaced 'em with smaller ones... along with modifying the rest of the armour a bit as well. Thoughts?
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Mon May 11, 2015 1:49 am

Got started on Jahi's paint! Haven't gotten far yet though, so it still looks terrible, heh.

Besides that, I've also been working on converting my Storm Talon to something slightly less lumpy-potato-like. XD I've managed to get the assault cannon up higher into the nose while still keeping a bit of rotation/elevation movement, so I'm pretty pleased with that.

However, I have a problem! As you're all most likely aware, I am terribly indecisive, so I need comments and opinions on where to put all the OTHER weapons!

Version 1 - Lascannons on the wingtips, bolters flush against the nose, missile pods under the wings up against the engines. I'd also trim off those extruding bits where the weapon pods would normally mount either side of the nose, so the nose profile will be slimmer.

Version 2 - Missile pods integrated into the roof instead of mounted under the wings. If I do go with this, I'll actually be sinking the pods more flush against the roof so they're not sitting up quite so high. I just don't want to cut anything off yet until I finalise what I'm actually doing.

Version 3 - Lascannons flush against the nose and extending far out to the front, heavy bolters mounted on the outside. If I go with this, I'd modify the extruding bits to better suit having the bolters mounted in them.

Version 4 - Bolters flush against the nose, lascannons mounted on the outside. If I go with this, I'd modify the extruding bits to better suit having the lascannons mounted in them.

Or any other ideas that y'all might have! I don't want to mess with the wings/tail too much though, 'cause I actually quite like how they are (and I still want to be able to fit this thing into the custom foam I have for it! Very Happy) I mostly just wanted to trim down the nose as much as I can.

Help me, Obi-Wan! You're my only hope!
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Finally got my milliput in and have been playing with it! Used straight up milliput first, then tried a 50/50 milliput/greenstuff mix. Adding the greenstuff makes the milliput easier to work with, I think! Gonna hafta wait until it dries to see how hard it is and how well it sands down.

So here's the current state of Chapter Master Akil Amari - missing his right hand atm, I'll need to sculpt that once I've finished the rest of the weapon.

And a better view of the blade on Ahemit:

Still a lot of tidy up to do, but progress has been made! Very Happy
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Comander.c Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Heh, so Akil runs around in artificer Iron Armour. Nice!
Comander.c
Comander.c
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:18 pm

Only when he's being SUPER FANCY, I figure! That's probably just his ceremonial armour - inherited from Sefu. XD I figure in actual combat, when he's not stomping around in Terminator armour, Akil's got his own battle plate of MkIV.
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:14 pm

Some more progress!

I'm experimenting with the gold at the moment, using a purple wash as well as a brown wash to shade it. Still need to finish highlighting the gold, using a lighter gold and silver. I think I also need to work on the red some more, darken the shadowed areas back down again.

Opinions?
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:20 am

Stick a fork in him, he's finally done! At least until I decide to tweak him, anyway. XD

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Comments and feedback welcome! Very Happy
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:27 pm

On to my next project! Right now I'm kind of bouncing between a few different things until I settle on what to focus on next. Here's one of the things I'm playing with at the moment:

Experimenting with a bit of true-scaling, along with making a few robed characters for my pre-Heresy Sons army. This is still very rough, I need to do more greenstuff work on him, especially around the torso/waist area. Also going to add the usual book hanging from a chain around the waist thing. Here's a size comparison with some regular marines:

I'll be making five of these guys, I think! They'll most likely be either squad sergeants, or a five-man squad of veterans or something, I'm not entirely sure yet. Still deciding on what weapons to give them all, and whether or not to magnetise their arms for loadout swapping. Any thoughts or suggestions?

And something else I'm working on occasionally - the 25th Anniversary Crimson Fist model. Sometimes it's nice to paint something different! Very Happy

Let me know what you all think! Very Happy
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:43 pm

Got a little more work done on my robed guys this week! Here's the five in varying stages of progress - waiting for greenstuff to dry is such a pain. XD Still a lot of work and tidy-up to do on them all!

This guy's testing out a weapon idea I'm considering:

Better look at the actual blade shape:

Also, I've decided I won't be using the hooded heads from the DA box for these guys - I'll be customising helmets for them like I've done before.

Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:08 pm

A little more progress! They now all have their book chained to their belt, and a bit more greenstuff detailing! I've also started on a couple of the helmets, though there's still a long way to go.

One day I'll figure out consistency between all those winged scarabs... one day. But today is not that day! Very Happy
Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skits Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Here's a bit more progress! Working on all the weapons at the moment, though I'm still trying to decide what ranged weapons to give some of them - bolt pistols or storm bolters or plasma pistols or grav pistols or what. I'm also trying to get my hands on a storm bolter or two, but no luck yet. Sad All the arms are magnetised - not so much for actual weapon swapping, but more so I can play with poses and also make painting easier later on.

This guy's weapons are almost finalised, I think! I'm gonna chuck a holstered pistol on his belt as well. Head and pauldrons are just there for the moment to give a better idea of sizing. Still not sure if the blades are a little too large or not. Thoughts?

Still working on this guy's glaive - testing out the arm positioning at the moment before I actually start greenstuffing in the other hand, etc. What do you all think? Does this pose work?

In-progress heads, blargh.

I'm gonna be giving one of the guys a one-handed mace + pistol or stormbolter combo - here's a rough design I've come up with for the mace. Now to see if I can actually MAKE it, heh.

One guy's gonna have a khopesh+pistol or stormbolter combo, the other's gonna be given a big ol' two-handed staff (which I still need to figure out a design for).

Skits
Skits
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum